Friday, September 4, 2009

Buttermilk-seeds bread


As I mentioned in earlier posts, I mostly bake bread on my own instead of buying it. So with time I have tried out quite a lot of different breads. I also bought a bread maker to save some time and work, but somehow I still prefer the complete self-made breads more. I like to work the dough with hands and I especially love the smell of the bread baking in the oven, which then fills the entire kitchen and house.
This bread recipe has become one of our favourites, as it is crunchy on the outside and has the right softness inside. It tastes great as a sandwich as well as topped with some jam.
Since it is Friday today I wish everybody a nice weekend!!! See you next week with some new recipes. :-)

Ingredients:

- 5 cups unbleached white flour
- 2 cups buttermilk at room temperature
- 2 Tbsp. Active-dry yeast
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- 2 Tsp. Brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Flax seed
- 2 Tbsp. Sesame seeds
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- 1 Tbsp. Coriander seeds
- Some seeds to sprinkle on top

Method:

In a large bowl combine flour, yeast, salt and sugar. Add the buttermilk step by step and knead to a dough. Cover and let rise at a warm place for about 20 minutes. Then add all the seeds and knead again well. The dough will be a bit sticky. If it is too sticky add a little more flour. Shape into a ball and cover again. Let rise for 20 more minutes.
Preheat oven to 400 F.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and form the dough into a round shape. Place onto the sheet and make about 5 slight cuts with a knife on top. Brush with some cold water and sprinkle some seeds on top. Let it rise for about 10 minutes and then bake for about 40 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
Text and photographs are copyright protected. Copyright © Masalaflavour.blogspot.com 2009. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Copyright policy

This blog is my attempt to share and chronicle experiences and recipes which I have learnt on my own through long hours in the kitchen or which were passed on to me from my family, in-laws and friends. All texts and photographs in this blog are mine unless otherwise noted and it is prohibited to copy or distribute them without my written permission. If you would like to use any content for non-commercial purposes ask first by contacting me at Masalaflavour@yahoo.com. Please respect that this blog and all its content is the result of hard work and that it is not allowed to violate any of its copyrights.
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Text and photographs are copyright protected.
Copyright © Masalaflavour.blogspot.com 2009-2011. All rights reserved.