Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Panzanella (Italian bread salad)


Panzanella is an Italian bread salad and can be served with different ingredients.
This recipe is inspired by Ina Garten from the Food Network. When I saw the recipe some days ago I didn’t write down the ingredients or quantities, so when I made it yesterday I went with my own measurements and changed some ingredients as well. Though S. eats happily whatever I make, he went literally crazy over this dish and put it immediately on his all-time favourite list. It is a very colourful salad and can be easily prepared ahead of time.

Ingredients:

- half baguette or ciabatta bread, cubed (it is best to use bread which is 1-2 days old)
- ½ cucumber, cubed
- 2 medium tomatoes, cubed
- 1 red bell pepper, cubed
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cubed
- ½ cup black olives
- 1 Tbsp. Balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tsp. Dijon mustard
- ½-1 Tsp. Oregano ( I used dried one)
- 6 Tbsp. Olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Handful fresh basil leaves or Italian parsley, chopped
- 3-4 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese

Method:

Heat 2 Tbsp. olive oil in a large pan. Add the bread cubes and fry till golden brown. Let cool. In a large bowl combine bell peppers, cucumber, tomatoes, black olives and bread cubes.
In a small bowl whisk together 4 Tbsp. olive oil, mustard, vinegar, salt and black pepper. Pour the dressing over the salad and add the basil or parsley. Mix well. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese on top and mix. Let the salad soak at room temperature for about 30 minutes or longer.
Text and photographs are copyright protected. Copyright © Masalaflavour.blogspot.com 2009. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Copyright policy

This blog is my attempt to share and chronicle experiences and recipes which I have learnt on my own through long hours in the kitchen or which were passed on to me from my family, in-laws and friends. All texts and photographs in this blog are mine unless otherwise noted and it is prohibited to copy or distribute them without my written permission. If you would like to use any content for non-commercial purposes ask first by contacting me at Masalaflavour@yahoo.com. Please respect that this blog and all its content is the result of hard work and that it is not allowed to violate any of its copyrights.
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Text and photographs are copyright protected.
Copyright © Masalaflavour.blogspot.com 2009-2011. All rights reserved.