Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Banana muffins with cinnamon crumbs (egg less)

I buy bananas often but most of the times I buy too many or nobody eats them. So after some days I have a bunch of very ripe bananas sitting in the fruit basket. Whenever this happens I have to think of a solution to make use of them. I either like to make bread or muffins since S. seems to like this much more than to just eat a plain banana. :-)
This recipe is originally from Hamlyns “The vegetarian student cookbook” which I own but not in English. Also the original is made with eggs which I didn’t want to use in the muffins. So I modified it and changed the quantities according to our liking.

Makes 12 muffins.



Ingredients:

For the batter:
- 3 ripe mashed bananas
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup oil
- ½ cup milk
- 1 ¾ cup whole-wheat flour
- 3 Tsp. Baking powder
- 1 Tsp. Vanilla essence
- 2 Tbsp. Egg replacer mixed with 6 Tbsp. water (I use the one from Bob`s Red Mill)

For the crumbs:
- 2 Tbsp. flax seed meal
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 Tsp. cinnamon
- ½ Tsp. baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 2 ½ Tbsp. softened butter
- 2 Tbsp. water

Method:

Preheat oven to 375F/ 200C.
For the batter combine sugar, oil, vanilla essence, milk and egg replacer in a bowl. Mix well and then add in the mashed bananas. Combine flour, baking powder and salt and add step by step to the batter. Mix but don’t over mix otherwise the batter gets sticky and hard. For the crumbs combine flax seed meal, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. With your fingertips knead in the butter. Combine flour and baking powder and add to the crumbs. Finally add the water and mix. The batter should be crumbly.
Pour the muffin batter in 12 muffin cup forms/ cupcake forms. Sprinkle the crumbs on top. Bake in the oven for about 30-40 minutes.
Text and photographs are copyright protected. Copyright © Masalaflavour.blogspot.com 2009. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Copyright policy

This blog is my attempt to share and chronicle experiences and recipes which I have learnt on my own through long hours in the kitchen or which were passed on to me from my family, in-laws and friends. All texts and photographs in this blog are mine unless otherwise noted and it is prohibited to copy or distribute them without my written permission. If you would like to use any content for non-commercial purposes ask first by contacting me at Masalaflavour@yahoo.com. Please respect that this blog and all its content is the result of hard work and that it is not allowed to violate any of its copyrights.
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Text and photographs are copyright protected.
Copyright © Masalaflavour.blogspot.com 2009-2011. All rights reserved.