Thursday, July 23, 2009

Milky bread rolls


Coming from a European country bread has always played a big role in my eating habits. I am used to such a huge variety of different breads and rolls that when I came to the US I got a slight kick into reality. The first experience with the normal bread here was a rubber like toast which I knew till then as junk food bread. Suddenly I had to realize how spoilt my country had made me and oh how much I missed then to just walk into a bakery, choose a bread from the loaded bread shelves and watch the baker wrap it in paper. I longed for the smell of freshly baked rolls on a Sunday morning when the still warm first bite topped with the favourite jam almost melted in my mouth. After eating the local bread for quite some time and whining about how much I missed home there was nothing else to do as to start baking on my own. Now I regularly make different varieties of breads, rolls and other pastries. Of course not all bread which you can buy here is bad. By now I have figured out where to buy bread which is quite good and occasionally I go and buy it but I still prefer the homemade version. Here one of my favourites to share with you and for sure many more to come soon.

Ingredients:

- 6 cups unbleached white flour
- 3 Tsp. Active-dry yeast
- 2 Tsp. Salt
- 1 Tbsp. Softened butter
- 2 Tsp. Brown sugar
- 2 cups lukewarm milk
- Poppy seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds for topping
- cold milk for brushing

Method:

In a large bowl mix flour with yeast, salt and sugar. Add the butter and incorporate with your fingertips. Add the milk step by step while kneading the dough. Knead it well for a couple of minutes till you have a smooth dough. It should not be sticky. Take it on a smooth surface and knead for some more minutes. Roll the dough into a long roll and divide into 12 parts. Form into slight oblong shapes. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and put the rolls onto it. Cover and let the rolls rise in a warm place for about 1 ½ hours. They should double in size. In the meantime preheat the oven to 450F.
Brush some cold milk on top of the rolls and sprinkle poppy seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds according to your liking on top.
Bake for about 15 minutes or till the rolls are golden-brown.
Text and photographs are copyright protected. Copyright © Masalaflavour.blogspot.com 2009. All rights reserved.

2 comments:

sangeeta said...

first time here through FB...nice blog you have Kaya...
liked thes rolls with different seeds as toppings.
it's true that when you start baking your own bread you can never appreciate a store bought one...lol.

Kaya said...

Sangeeta, thanks so much for visiting and leaving your feedback!! :-)Really appreciate it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Copyright policy

This blog is my attempt to share and chronicle experiences and recipes which I have learnt on my own through long hours in the kitchen or which were passed on to me from my family, in-laws and friends. All texts and photographs in this blog are mine unless otherwise noted and it is prohibited to copy or distribute them without my written permission. If you would like to use any content for non-commercial purposes ask first by contacting me at Masalaflavour@yahoo.com. Please respect that this blog and all its content is the result of hard work and that it is not allowed to violate any of its copyrights.
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Text and photographs are copyright protected.
Copyright © Masalaflavour.blogspot.com 2009-2011. All rights reserved.